He is also experienced in commercial litigation including, but not limited to, complex contractual and other commercial litigation as well as professional negligence claims. Leon’s aviation practice includes acting for airlines, general aviation operators and manufacturers.
Leon has extensive experience acting as counsel for both plaintiffs and defendants in trials. He has appeared in both the British Columbia Supreme Court and the British Columbia Court of Appeal, including conducting civil jury trials. He has also appeared in many Chambers applications including summary trials, and has conducted numerous mediations.
Before being called to the British Columbia Bar, Leon practised law in South Africa as a barrister/an advocate of the Supreme Court of South Africa (SCSA) from 1991 until 1998 and as a solicitor/an attorney of the SCSA from 1989 to 1991. (Barristers and solicitors practise independently of each other in South Africa.)
Leon provides legal services through a Law Corporation.
Awards & Recognitions
- Recognized in the 2021 edition (and since 2014) of The Best Lawyers in Canada (Corporate, Insurance, Personal Injury Litigation and Aviation Law).
- Recognized in the 2021 and in the 2020 editions of Benchmark Canada — The Definitive Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys as a Litigation Star (Insurance, Dispute Resolution, Product Liability, Commercial).
- Recognized in the 2018 edition of Benchmark Canada (General Commercial; Insurance; Product Liability).
- Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2020 edition (and since 2014) of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Aviation Law, Personal Injury Litigation).
- Dhaliwal v. Greyhound Canada Transportation Corp. et al., 2015 BCSC 2147
- Globalnet Management Solutions Inc. et al. v. Aviva Insurance Company of Canada et al., 2013 BCJ No. 964.
- Schneider v. DeMarco, 2012 BCSC 1875.
- Mackie v. Gruber et al., 2010 BCCA 464 and 2009 BCSC 1106.
- Lowe v. Greyhound Canada Transportation Corp., 2008 BCSC 64.
- Haider et al v. HMTQ et al., 2007 BCSC 755.
- Bruno v. Vultaggio, 2006 BCSC 1024.
- McGrath v. Meise, 2005 BCSC 1332.
- Fibercom Systems Inc. v. Rogers Cable Inc., 2005 BCSC 419.
- Sutherland v. Leon, 2004 BCSC 220.
- Purolator Courier Ltd. v. Nav Air Charter Inc., 2002 BCSC 965.
- Solmundson v. Bull, Housser & Tupper, 2000 BCSC 1640.
- Yoon v. Greyhound Canada Transportation Corp., BCSC Action No. S0014466 (unreported jury trial decision) 2005.
- Manhas v. Dyal, unreported decision 2008-12-19, New Westminster, Action No. M97277.
- Frantzen v. Frantzen, unreported decision 2008-02-22, Vancouver Action No. M050431.
- Corbett v. 526053 B.C. Ltd., 2004 BCSC 753.
- Cortés v. Yorkton Securities Inc., 2003 BCSC 482.
- Primero Cigar Importers Ltd. v. Strata Plan VR 2327, 2003 BCSC 125.
- Canadian Pacific Railway v. British Columbia (Information and Privacy Commissioner), 2002 BCSC 603.
Insights & Events
- No-fault amendments to the Insurance (Vehicle) Act
- Transport Canada Announces Changes To Pilot Recency Requirements
- Author, BC Litigator’s Pocket Reference, LexisNexis 2011 and updated 2012 (with D.H. Laudan and I. Nishisato)